How do I get rid of possums?
Possums may look cute and may be an Australian icon, but we should all be able to appreciate them from a distance. Having possums in your roof or underneath your floor is an irritating problem. Not only are they noisy but they can also damage your home.
Getting rid of possums from your home can be complicated. There are a few reasons why doing it yourself can be more trouble than it’s worth. So, in this post we’re going to tell you the best way to get rid of possums and why it’s best to call in a professional.
Possums are native animals
Possums being native animals doesn’t just imply that there is a strong sense of patriotism attached to them. It means there are certain laws that protect them and that indicate how you can deal with them if they’re wreaking havoc in your home. The laws differ slightly from state to state, but here’s a break down of some laws around trapping possums:
- Some states require you to have a license to trap a possum.
- You must use a cage that won’t harm the possum in the process, usually available through pest control businesses or wildlife rescue services.
- Once trapped, they must not be kept in direct sunlight or in rainy or windy conditions. They mustn’t be kept in the presence of domestic pets.
- You must release the possum on the same day it’s caught, after sunset.
- You must not release the possum more than 50 metres away from your property. It is illegal to relocate a possum as they will not survive in a new territory.
There are penalties for breaking the rules
Breaking any of these rules around trapping and releasing possums can result in fines. We’re not talking about a slap on the wrist either; breaking these laws can result in a fine of up to $7,500. So while it is possible to trap and release possums on your own, it may not even permanently solve your possum problem, and further, getting it wrong could cost you, big time.
Permanently getting rid of possums in a safe, ethical and cost-effective way
The best way to get rid of possums from your home is simple: call a professional possum removalist. An expert possum removal team like the one at Peter the Possum Man will talk you through the process of making sure your possums are kept away from your house for good. This involves locating the possum nest, blocking off entry points to your roof or under your floor, trapping the possums and releasing them safely. Then, you can appreciate our native bush critters without them being too close. The team at Peter the Possum Man have over 75 years’ experience in removing possums, so to get rid of your possum issues, give them a call today.